We understand that learning your child has a neurological disorder is distressing, but with the right care, your child can thrive. At Henry Ford Health, our team can help.
Our specialists are experts in identifying signs of neurological conditions in newborns, infants, children and teens. We’re a trusted partner for families, supporting you with the information you need to help your child get the most out of care.
Pediatric neurology at Henry Ford: Why choose us?
Our team provides comprehensive care with a compassionate touch for children with all types of neurological disorders. Highlights of our program include:
- Family-centered approach: We meet with you and your family as a group so we can understand your needs and goals. Our one-hour appointments allow plenty of time for personal attention, education and counseling to help you and your child manage a condition.
- Dedicated pediatric team: Your child receives care from pediatric neurology, neuropsychology, neonatology (newborn care), child psychiatry, specialty nurses, counselors and other specialties. We review patient cases in weekly team conferences to determine an accurate diagnosis and recommend treatment options. Meet our team.
- Expertise with common and rare disorders: With additional years of training in several specialties, our team has extensive experience in all types of neurological disorders. We’re dedicated to caring for children — from newborns through teens — with treatments that help them maintain a healthy, active life. Find out more about pediatric neurologic evaluation and treatment.
- Highest level of care for critically ill newborns: Henry Ford is home to a level 4 neonatal intensive care unit (NICU), which provides the highest level of care for babies who need it most. For moms with high-risk pregnancies, our maternal-fetal medicine specialists, neonatologists and other specialists are on hand at delivery to provide immediate care. Learn more about our level 4 NICU.
- Nationally recognized epilepsy care: Our Comprehensive Epilepsy Center has received recognition as a level 4 epilepsy center from the National Association of Epilepsy Centers (NAEC). Our experienced team provides the highest level of care, including diagnosis and treatment. Find out more about our care for epilepsy and seizures, including our epilepsy monitoring unit (EMU).
About pediatric neurological disorders
Neurological disorders are conditions that affect the brain, spinal cord and nerves (the nervous system). They can range from minor problems, such as a headache, to life-threatening conditions, such as stroke.
Neurological disorders can have many causes, ranging from injuries and infections to genetics, development problems or other health conditions. They cause difficulty with muscle movement, thinking, learning, behavior, speaking, sleep and other body functions.
Find out more about pediatric neurological disorders we treat at Henry Ford.
Second opinions and patient referrals
If you’re a referring provider who has a patient who could benefit from our care and services, we’re happy to consult with you. We work closely with you and your patient for second opinions and coordinated care:
- Second opinions: Make an appointment with pediatric neurology for a consultation. We can confirm a diagnosis and provide recommendations for treatment.
- Patient referrals: Whether you plan to continue caring for your patient or transfer their care, we collaborate with you to decide on a plan. We communicate with you regularly to update you on your patient’s status. Get more information for medical professionals.