Scheduled Video Visits
Next time you want to speak with a provider for a follow-up appointment or other routine concerns, skip the drive and save time with a Scheduled Video Visit using Henry Ford MyChart, our secure patient portal. Many of our primary care and specialty care providers offer Scheduled Video Visits in addition to in-person visits.
You can schedule video appointments for most participating providers through MyChart. The summary from your Scheduled Video Visit — and all virtual care encounters — becomes part of your personal medical record. You can easily access it in MyChart.
When selecting a Scheduled Video Visit, please consider:
- What this is for: Scheduled Video Visits are for non-urgent health concerns and follow-ups. Many Henry Ford primary care and specialty care providers offer Scheduled Video Visits. Video visits are generally available for patients in Michigan only. Some providers may be licensed to offer video visits for patients outside of Michigan. Check with your provider.
- When this is available: Scheduled Video Visits are available during a provider’s normal business days and hours. You can schedule virtual care appointments for most participating providers through MyChart. You may also call (313) 876-7951 to speak with a MyChart Advocate, or you can contact the provider’s office directly.
- What you need: Scheduled Video Visits use Henry Ford MyChart (our patient portal) and a computer or mobile device with a microphone and camera. If you don’t have a MyChart account, you can easily get a MyChart account. Access the MyChart webpage on your computer, or download the MyChart app for Android or Apple tablets and smartphones.
- What this costs: Most insurance plans, including Medicare and Medicaid, cover the cost of a video visit. Co-pays, deductibles and co-insurances may apply. If your insurance does not cover the cost, you will be responsible for any resulting fees.
Appropriate conditions for your virtual provider visit
You can have a Scheduled Video Visit with your primary care doctor when you are sick, having a health problem, managing a chronic disease or require follow-up. In addition, many specialists across Henry Ford Health offer Scheduled Video Visits. These are available for both returning patients who need follow-up appointments and for new patients.
A Scheduled Video Visit is appropriate for a variety of sick, chronic care and follow-up concerns. For example:
- Anxiety/depression/behavioral therapy
- Chronic disease management
- Cold/flu/sinus or respiratory infections
- Minor cuts and burns
- Pink eye/eye irritation
- Skin conditions and rash
- Stomach issues
- Urinary tract infection
- Vaginal infection
- Discuss lab or radiology results
Instructions for your virtual doctor visit
You can make an appointment for a Scheduled Video Visit the same way you schedule in-person visits: through MyChart or by calling your provider’s office to schedule. In MyChart, simply select “Video Visit” for how you would like to be seen, if the option is available for your provider.
All video visits are conducted securely through MyChart. Language interpreters are available for video visits upon request. After the appointment, the notes from your video visit will be available in MyChart under the “Visit” icon in the “Past” section. The audio and video from the visit are not recorded.
If this is your first time doing a video visit, start at least 20 minutes earlier than your scheduled appointment. That will give you enough time to get set up and complete eCheck-In and any pre-visit forms.
When it’s time for your appointment, follow these step-by-step instructions:
For smartphones and tablets (recommended)
Need a printout? Download a quick guide:
- For English: Desktop/Laptop Computer or Mobile Phone/Tablet
- For Spanish: Desktop/Laptop Computer or Mobile Phone/Tablet
- For Arabic: Desktop/Laptop Computer or Mobile Phone/Tablet
Important to note: Nonemergency use only
- Video visits are not for medical emergencies. In case of an emergency, call 911 or go to the nearest emergency room.
- If you are driving during a video visit, your provider will end the visit immediately for your safety.
Schedule a video visit now
MyChart puts healthcare at your fingertips. If you:
- Already use MyChart: Log in on a computer or launch the MyChart app on your mobile device to see if your provider participates in Scheduled Video Visits. You may also inquire at your provider’s office.
- Are new to MyChart: Get an account today.
- Need technical assistance: Call a MyChart Advocate at (313) 876-7951.
- Want more information: Check our FAQ page and watch a brief instructional video for using a mobile device or computer.
Need care today?
For a health problem that’s not quite an emergency but can’t wait, we offer same-day appointments 24/7/365 with a board-certified Henry Ford doctor. Go to our Video Visits On Demand page to learn how to get in line for a virtual visit, or sign into MyChart and select “Video Visit On Demand” from Your Menu.