Urologic Robotic Surgery
At the Henry Ford Vattikuti Urology Institute (VUI), we have a long history of surgical innovation. In fact, our surgeons performed some of the first robotic prostate surgeries in the country.
Since the early 2000s, our urologic surgeons have pioneered and perfected robotic techniques that are now used around the world. Our patients have access to the most advanced technology and highly skilled surgeons. That means the best possible outcomes for prostate, kidney and bladder cancer surgery.
We also offer a range of robot-assisted urologic reconstructive surgeries. Our surgeons repair and recreate the genitourinary organs. These procedures help restore urinary and genital function after cancer treatment, surgery or trauma.
Urologic robotic surgery at Henry Ford VUI: Why choose Henry Ford?
Precise, high-tech surgical techniques mean better results for our patients. When you come to Henry Ford VUI for treatment of urologic cancer or genitourinary reconstruction, you can expect:
- Experience and expertise: Our surgeons are world-renowned for their skill and expertise in robotic surgery. Since 2001, we’ve used robot-assisted techniques to improve outcomes for people with prostate, bladder and kidney cancer. More recently, we’ve performed some of the first robotic genitourinary reconstructions in Michigan.
- Pioneering techniques: Not only did our surgeons perform some of the first robotic procedures for urologic cancer, but they’ve also continued to innovate. Their pioneering approaches are now the gold standard of care. And our surgeons travel to other institutions, sharing their techniques around the world.
- Advanced technology: Our surgeons use the most sophisticated, up-to-date robotic systems for all our robotic surgeries on the prostate, bladder, kidneys, urethra and other organs of the urinary tract and genitals.
- High volume: We’ve performed thousands of robotic prostate, bladder and kidney surgeries — more than most other cancer centers in the country. That experience leads to better results for our patients.
- Better outcomes: Minimally invasive robotic procedures are often safer, more effective and result in fewer complications. This allows our patients to recover faster and regain urinary and sexual function more quickly after surgery.
- Complete care: Henry Ford offers a range of services to help you regain urinary function after urologic surgery. Experts in rehabilitation medicine, pelvic floor physical therapy and penile rehabilitation work with your surgeon to build a recovery plan that works for you.
Types of urologic robotic surgery we perform
Our urologic surgeons specialize in a variety of robot-assisted surgeries to treat urologic cancer and reconstruct the genitourinary organs. These include:
- Robotic prostatectomy: Our surgeons use robot-assisted techniques for radical prostatectomy (removing the prostate, seminal vessels, nearby lymph nodes and surrounding tissue). We’ve also pioneered a precision prostatectomy that allows us to target just the tumor, to better preserve sexual function.
- Robotic partial nephrectomy: We’ve developed novel approaches that allow us to fully remove a kidney tumor while sparing the kidney itself and preserving function.
- Robotic bladder cancer surgery: Bladder cancer surgery is very complex and requires precision to spare the surrounding nerves. Our robot-assisted techniques offer better results — including regaining urinary control and sexual function more quickly.
- Single-port robotic prostatectomy: Our surgeons use robot-assisted techniques to perform radical prostatectomy (removal of the entire prostate). We access the prostate using only one port (one small incision). This provides faster recovery and less pain after surgery.
- Single-port robotic urethroplasty: Cancer treatment, surgery or other conditions can cause scar tissue or other abnormalities in the urethra. Our reconstructive urology team treats urethral strictures and obstructions by removing scar tissue and carefully rebuilding the urethra.
- Single-port robotic bladder neck reconstruction: Narrowing of the bladder neck after prostate cancer surgery can cause difficulty urinating and other problems. Our surgeons carefully remove scar tissue from the urethra and bladder neck to improve urinary function.
Benefits of robotic surgery for urologic cancer and genitourinary reconstruction
Surgeries to treat cancer and other conditions of the urinary tract are delicate and complex procedures. Using robotic technology gives our surgeons the precise control they need. Other advantages of robotic surgery for urologic conditions include:
- Less invasive procedure: Unlike traditional, open surgery, robotic surgery is minimally invasive, requiring only small incisions.
- Faster recovery: Patients have less pain and heal more quickly after minimally invasive robotic surgery. Depending on your specific condition, you may be able to head home after just one night in the hospital.
- Fewer complications: Robotic surgery leads to less bleeding and a lower risk of infection, making it a safer option in many cases.
- Preserving function: Our skilled surgeons use precision robotic techniques to help spare important nerves. That means our patients regain urinary control and sexual function faster.