3D Breast Biopsy
A 3D Breast Biopsy is a minimally invasive procedure that uses x-ray for guidance and localizes the nodule to accurately obtain samples to send for testing. This procedure is available at Henry Ford Medical Center - Fairlane, Henry Ford West Bloomfield Hospital and Henry Ford Allegiance Health.
- You will lie flat on a stereotactic table with your breast exposed.
- The technologist will compress your breast and obtain images.
- The radiologist numbs the area with Lidocaine to aid in any discomfort the procedure causes.
- The radiologist then sterilizes the area of concern and places a device within the breast to obtain samples of the area of interest.
- The sample is then sent for testing.
- You may be off any medication that is an anticoagulant (Aspirin, Lovenox, Motrin, Heparin, Coumadin or Plavix) for five days prior to this procedure. Please contact your mammography department if you have any questions.
- Arrive 15 minutes prior to your scheduled appointment.
- Bring a prescription if your doctor has given one to you.
- Please wear a supportive bra
Let the technologist know:
- If you are on any blood thinners.
- If you have had any previous surgery.
- If you have difficulty lying flat on your stomach or if you have neck problems.