Frequently Asked Questions

When does your recruitment season begin?
Our recruitment season begins in September and applications are accepted through November 30th. Applications are only accepted electronically through the Electronic Residency Application System (ERAS).

What are you looking for in an applicant?
We are looking for an individual who wants to work hard and will aggressively pursue their own education within the framework of our training program. While an academic and/or research background is a plus, it is not a prerequisite. Good team skills and a strong sense of personal accountability is required. Our graduates have equal success in both academic surgery and private practice settings. Most of all we are looking for a candidate who will be a "good fit" with our program.

What type of USMLE scores are you looking for?
USMLE scores higher than 200 are highly desirable.

Should I apply if my credentials do not exactly meet all the criteria outlined?
Yes. All applications are evaluated on their individual merit.

Do you require passage of USMLE Part III?
The Institution requires that all PGY-1s successfully pass Part III of the USMLE exam by the end of their second year of training.

What is the salary?
The resident salary is competitive with other hospitals in southeastern Michigan

How much vacation time do resident receive?
All residents receive four weeks of vacation.

Do you provide research experience?
Research opportunities and fellowships are available during training and while strongly encouraged are not required. Approximately half of every class (three out of six residents) take a year off after the second or third post-graduate year for research or fellowship training during their residency.

Do you have a Simulation Center?
The Henry Ford Health Center for Simulation, Education and Research is a 12,500 square foot multidisciplinary environment for the development of clinical skills and safety training for our students, employees and faculty. It opened in June of 2007.

Is Henry Ford an ACS Level 1 Trauma Center?

Do you accept International Medical Graduates into your program?

Is U.S. experience required for International Medical Graduates?
Prior U.S. experience is not necessary, however, it is highly desirable.

What type of visas do you accept?
We support J1 visas only.

Do I need an Educational Commission for Foreign Medical Graduates (ECFMG) Certificate at the time of application?
Although possession of the ECFMG certificate at the time of application is highly desirable, it is not necessary. You must, however, have your ECFMG certification prior to starting your residency.

Do you offer observerships?

Information for Applicants
Interested in applying to one of our programs, call (800) 436-7936.

Cookie Consent

We use cookies to improve your web experience. By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use. Read our Internet Privacy Statement to learn what information we collect and how we use it.

Accept All Cookies