Application FAQs

Choose a question from the list

If you have additional questions, please contact us.

What documents are required for the application?

We only accept applications through ERAS. Applications are reviewed by the Education Committee on a rolling basis once they are complete. Complete applications include medical school transcripts, MSPE (Dean’s Letter), 3 letters of recommendation (at least 1 SLOE preferred), personal statement and USMLE and/or COMLEX scores.

All aspects of the application are considered during a robust holistic review process.

What are the minimum score requirements for Step 1 & 2?

There are no minimum score requirements. All aspects of the application are considered while granting interviews and for resident selection.

How is your program using “Preference Signaling”?

The HFH EM residency program is participating in Preference Signaling (PS). We will consider this additional information along with our traditional holistic review in determining invitations for interviews. Medical students that rotate with us at Henry Ford Hospital do not need to use a PS token.

When do you send out interview invites?

We participate in the EM Unified County Program Invite Date each year. It usually falls around the middle of October and invitations go out per those recommendations. We use the ERAS Interview Scheduler to send out invitations and schedule interviews. Please do not hesitate to call us if you encounter any difficulty in scheduling.

When are interviews conducted?

Interviews start in November and extend into January.

Do you sponsor J-1 or H-1 visas?

We are only able to sponsor J1 visas.

Is your program on social media?

Follow us on Instagram @hfhemres for a more personal look into who we are and what we do!

How long is the training program?

We have a three-year categorical EM program that most applicants are applying to. There is also a separate five-year Emergency Medicine/Internal Medicine combined program. EM/IM residents can apply to the critical care fellowship during their PGY4 year which results in a six-year program leading to board certification in Emergency Medicine, Internal Medicine and Critical Care.

How can I apply to the EM/IM/Critical Care Program?

Applicants interested in this program should apply for the EM/IM Residency. The first four years of both combined programs are identical - residents must decide if they want to pursue the EM/IM/CC program before the end of their third year.

How often do I receive feedback and/or evaluations?

Residents receive feedback at the end of every shift using our WIRE (web-based individualized resident evaluation) system. Faculty are encouraged to provide verbal, face-to-face feedback at the end of every shift with a focus around what went well and what could be done better. All evaluation data, procedure logs, etc. are available to residents immediately via the electronic DEM Dashboard. You will meet with the program director at least twice a year to review your evaluations, discuss your development and to plan for the future.

How does the program and/or institution prioritize and support wellness?

The emergency department has an active wellness committee to help foster and grow a culture of wellness in a variety of different ways. The wellness committee also works with the Curriculum Decision Committee (CDC) to manage a longitudinal wellness curriculum for educational sessions. This curriculum is capped by “Wellness Day” in June each year that dedicates an afternoon to multiple wellness topics in a relaxed, off-site setting. Each month, there is at least 1 wellness related departmental activity outside of the hospital. The department also hosts a series of athletic events with the residents competing against the faculty for the Boulevard Cup.

The hospital has a system wide wellness program led by a physician wellness officer, with monthly wellness rounds, online and in person resources available. There is also a House Staff Council that holds various resident events throughout the year. Additionally, GME places $1500 on resident badges each year for food at the hospital.

Is there a research requirement for residents?

Our department has a long history of producing quality research. Scholarly activity is strongly encouraged throughout the residency, although a research project is not required for categorical EM residents. The EM/IM residents are required to complete at least one research project.

How are resident research projects supported?

The EM faculty are more than welcome to help mentor a resident in an original project or involve a resident in one of their projects. Each Henry Ford Hospital resident has access to $5,000 during residency for research through the HFH small grants research fund. There is also free biostatistical support and medical paper writing support for residents.

Are there any expected curricular changes?

The leadership team is always engaged in discussions about the curriculum and the educational quality of rotations. Additionally, we review monthly off-service rotation evaluations and semi-annual program evaluations. Information from these evaluations is discussed in depth at Program Evaluation Committee (PEC) meetings that occur 4 times a year. Residents are active and integral participants in PEC meetings. We have made quite a few curricular changes over the past few years based on resident feedback.

  • Institutional change from monthly block schedule to 13 4-week bocks.
  • Increased EM rotations during 1st year and more time for dedicated CAT 1 experiences
  • Removal of plastic surgery as a PGY1 rotation
  • Added dedicated US experience in 1st year and 2nd year
  • Development and addition of enhanced clinical shifts in PGY2
  • Development and addition of PGY3 tracks in administration, research, education and community EM
  • Longitudinal, integrated PEDS EM shifts at Children’s Hospital of Michigan during 3rd year

What are the roles of EM residents during trauma codes?

The EM senior resident is the resuscitation leader for all adult and pediatric resuscitations – medical and trauma. Procedures are performed by ED residents or as assigned by the team leader. ED residents are responsible for the primary survey in trauma victims, lifesaving procedures and participate in the secondary survey. The EM Senior Resident and EM Faculty collaborates with the Trauma Senior Resident and Trauma Faculty to develop an ultimate care plan and disposition.

How many of your residents pursue fellowships?

Over the past 5 years, 40% of our graduates went on to fellowships. Our residents have completed fellowships in toxicology, pediatrics, critical care, research, informatics, education, EMS/disaster medicine, ultrasound, sports medicine, palliative care and global health.

What fellowships are available at Henry Ford Hospital?

The Henry Ford Hospital Department of Emergency Medicine offers a fellowship in Ultrasound. Our institution also offers fellowships available to EM graduates in Critical Care, Sports Medicine, Research and Palliative Care. One of our academic affiliates, Wayne State University, offers additional fellowships in Toxicology, Global Health and EMS.

What are the Parental Leave Policies?

All HFH programs follow the institutional Leave of Absence policies.

Medical Leave of Absence

Henry Ford Health will pay House Officers One Hundred (100%) percent of their salary for an eligible approved medical leave of absence through the Henry Ford Health third party leave of absence administrator for up to 6 months with salary continuation.

  • No requirement to utilize any paid time off (PTO) Medical Leave of Absence.
  • The House Officer requesting a medical leave of absence related to pregnancy is provided six weeks after date of delivery for a vaginal delivery and up to eight weeks after date of cesarean delivery with full salary continuation and benefits. These individuals may then use their available paid GME Parental Leave (six weeks paid leave)

Parental and Caregiver Leave of Absence

  • Henry Ford Health will pay House Officers One Hundred (100%) percent of their salary for up to six (6) weeks of parental, or caregiver leave of absence taken in a GME program of at least one (1) to four (4) years in length; and, as applicable, for an additional six (6) weeks after completion of year four (4) in programs of five (5) years or more in length. Leave requests must be in increments of no less than one (1) day.
  • PTO must be used down to one (1) week (5 days M-F) when a House Officer goes on any approved parental or caregiver leave
Information for Applicants
Interested in applying to one of our programs, call (800) 436-7936.

Cookie Consent

We use cookies to improve your web experience. By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use. Read our Internet Privacy Statement to learn what information we collect and how we use it.

Accept All Cookies