Henry Ford Health is home to some of the nation’s most innovative sports performance testing technology. Our athletic trainers use cutting-edge tools to assess your baseline athletic performance and build a results-driven program to optimize your game.
Sports performance testing: Why choose Henry Ford?
Highlights of our sports performance testing services include:
- Leading-edge technology: We have the most comprehensive selection of sports performance testing technology in the nation. Our Center for Athletic Medicine is the only facility in the U.S. to feature the speedzone® system for speed and agility testing. We’re also home to two biomechanics labs for motion analysis and the innovative Quantum 1080 for evaluating strength and muscle recovery.
- Access for all athletes: Athletes of every age and skill level deserve effective training to enhance their performance. At Henry Ford, you have access to the same testing tools, training equipment and expertise as the pros. We cater to high school athletes, collegiate athletes, weekend warriors and other highly active individuals who want to excel.
- Skilled athletic trainers: Our team of certified athletic trainers has experience assessing athletic performance in a wide range of sports. From baseball and basketball to golfing and gymnastics, we tailor your testing, training and recovery program to the unique demands of your activity. They also stay up to date on the latest performance and conditioning techniques, so you receive expert recommendations.
Our athletic performance testing services
Accurate testing is an essential part of any athletic enhancement program. We use state-of-the-art tools to assess your existing strengths and weaknesses, identifying issues with gait, muscle imbalances or coordination that may not be obvious to the naked eye.
Our athletic trainers use this feedback to build the most effective training program for your needs. Ongoing testing throughout the program helps us track progress, compare results and give you the information you need to improve your performance. We’re always here to explain test results and work together to adjust your training program as needed.
We use a range of innovative tools for benchmark performance testing:
- Biomechanics labs: Our two movement analysis labs come equipped with high-speed digital cameras and the latest 3D software. We map a range of movements to identify injury risks and areas for improvement. Our markerless motion-capture system allows you to perform sport-specific movements more naturally, which delivers more accurate results. A special force-plated floor helps us measure power, weight distribution, muscle balance and much more.
- speedzone®: Our laser-based speed and agility testing system, speedzone®, is the only one of its kind in the U.S. We evaluate reaction timing, endurance and hand-eye coordination. We can even assess an athlete’s cognitive function during play to assess how you process and react to sport-specific stimuli.
- 1080 Quantum Syncro: This tool is ideal for resistance training and strength conditioning. Athletes perform a range of weight-loaded exercises such as lunges, pushes and rotations that test force and muscle velocity. We use this tool for both training and rehabilitation.
Depending on your sport or individual needs, we may recommend additional testing during your performance training program:
- Human performance testing: Runners or other athletes with cardiovascular or respiratory conditions may benefit from testing in our Human Performance Clinic. Services include VO2 max (aerobic capacity) testing and body composition testing using the innovative BodPod® tool. Athletes meet with a Henry Ford exercise physiologist for a specialized evaluation and exercise recommendations.
- Gait lab analysis: Abnormalities in the way you walk and run can put you at risk for injury. Our gait lab features an instrumented treadmill equipped with force plates. The plates deliver real-time data on force, pressure, gait length and left and right gait cycles, as well as foot and ankle strength. We also use 3D motion-capture cameras to evaluate body mechanics such as posture, stride and balance.
- AlterG® Anti-Gravity Treadmill™: Our innovative treadmill helps you rehabilitate safely and at your own pace. A specialized belt allows you to walk or run without bearing your full body weight. You can recover from injuries in your knees or hips with less pain, reduced joint stress and less risk of re-injury.